Monday, March 2, 2020

Slight Delay, D&D and Adeptus Titanticus


A Slight delay but plenty of games played.

Typically, I am trying to make a lengthy blog post at least once a week on Sunday. This week, however, I had a slight delay because…. I was playing games. I hope you can forgive me, but to me at least, that seems like a pretty good excuse.

On Thursday we wrapped up the Ghosts of Saltmarsh campaign that I have been playing in. The DM saw it fit to add a final last fight against one of the pirate princes and it was pretty comical. The pirate prince had undead whales. We managed to polymorph one, but it in a bag of holding, then air drop it onto the pirate prince’s ship. I don’t think he expected that. After that the aliens invaded… If you have played this adventure or the classic adventures upon which it is based, you may not recognize any of this. That’s because its not the in book, our DM added quite a bit to do with the pirate princes and aliens. A lot of us are very busy for the next few weeks and we have not decided whether to switch to new characters or continue with our ninth level characters. Either way I am sure we will pick these characters up again. 

This week I ran D&D on Friday and it is likely the last game we will get to play for a while. I am teaching a lot and the stress of writing and running a campaign is just a little too much over midterms. I think its important for a DM to recognize when the time sink is becoming a bit too much and be honest with their players. So, for a while I am going to get ahead on writing adventures and play some board games. A few players have already mentioned they will DM as well.

On Sunday I played two games of Adeptus Titanticus. The first was a very small game against a new player. I wanted to try out the rules for Space Marines that I had written. I took all marines including: 2 bases of marines with bolters, 2 bases of marines with melta guns, 2 rhinos, and 2 land raiders. I ave my opponent a single Warhound with a Plasma Blast Gun and a Vulcan Heavy Bolter. We played the retrieval mission. Long story short the warhound demolished the marines, killing one land raider turn 1, then turning to destroy the rhinos and marines as they closed on the objective. Eventually after a round or two of a showdown the Warhound put the final structure on point on the Land Raider. Overall, I was happy that the Warhound dismantled the marine as I would not want them to be able to threaten titans directly. They did make a run at the objective (which is what I designed them to do). Here are some pictures from that game:









After that short game my regular opponent and I played a 2000 point game. When we play we use a variation of the matched play rules. One of us designs the mission and sets up terrain while they other player chooses what side of the mission to play. In this case I designed a balanced mission in which we played Engage and Destroy with the secondary from a different mission (the one where you hold table quarters for 3 points each). I took my new Nemesis Warbringer, a Warlord, a warhound, two Reavers, and three knight lancers. My opponent took a Warlord, two Reavers, two Warhounds, three regular knights, and two lancers. During the course of the game we did screw up the effects of the quake cannon (as per the new errata), but otherwise this was a great game. I learned that the new Nemesis Warbringer is extremely tough, as it took a ton of punishment. Eventually it was killed, and I killed a Reaver, and the resulting explosion killed another Warhound. As per normal all of the knights were killed during the course of the game. I barely won, a rarity in that game for me, but it was a solid whacky game. Here are some pictures:











Finally, we play-tested my board game twice. Only 150 something more plays to go. More on that later.

This Thursday we are going to try out the remake of the Dune board game and I am really excited so I will post some pictures of that later this week.

Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment